The ATO has released a detailed employees’ guide to claiming work expenses to help employees decide whether their expenses are deductible and what records they need to keep to substantiate them.
Not all expenses associated with employment are deductible and the guide seeks to debunk several “myths” about deductible work-related expenses. The guide covers the following topics:
- Part A — Basic conditions for claiming a deduction
- Part B — Apportioning work-related expenses
- Part C — Commonly claimed expenses
- Part D — Substantiation requirements
- Part E — Exceptions and relief from substantiation
- Part F — Decline in value under the capital allowance provisions